Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Whistling their Names



When our seven children were still at home, I formulated a system of whistling for them (yes, perhaps inspired somewhat by "The Sound of Music").  I would whistle the cadence of my own exaggerated calling of "Chris-to-pher," "Tim-my," "Aar-on Mich-ael," "Han-nah Marie-e."  It saved me from yelling their names all day long.

What is interesting is that in southern Mexico, there are language groups that can communicate with whistles that reflect the tones and inflections of their native tongue.  Last month we witnessed this phenomenon in a Oaxacan village.  With no internet or cell phone service, it was a handy way for people to holler out to see if someone was home, or to get their attention on a pathway.


As I was praying for these people, I found a verse in Zechariah 10:6-8 which speaks of God "whistling" for his people, gathering them together, and redeeming them.  This is my prayer for the Zapotecos, that they would hear God's voice in the audio Bibles we distributed, and that God would strengthen them, save them, bring them back to Himself, and hear and answer their prayers.  I pray that they would be like mighty warriors, and that they and their children would rejoice and shout triumphantly in the Lord.  Lastly I pray that their church would multiply and spread to the other side of the mountain where there are still no believers.

Won't you join me in praying for the Zapotec people of Oaxaca?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...