The following is a testimony dated June 24, 1998 from a young lady who visited Mexico on our biggest short-term team ever, who traveled to the farthest corner of Oaxaca we've ever taken visitors. What is also significant is that Julie is one of only two people who have ever been hospitalized shortly after returning to the U.S. Was it worth it? You decide. She wrote:
"He showed me once again that He did not create me to be tucked away in a safe, sterile, and comfortable environment where I would never feel pain, discomfort, or sadness. This world is not my home, so for now, I must continue to live in whatever the circumstances at whatever the cost. I know that He will never abandon me, and He will never give me more than I can handle, so I can continue to live in confidence of His promises and love, regardless of what I may have to give up."
In a longer testimony, Julie wrote the following:
"Es suficiente." It is sufficient. This was perhaps the most common phrase that I heard from the Mexicans during the week we spent in Oaxaca.
"Would you like more food for dinner?" "No thank you, this was sufficient."
"Is there anything else I can do to help you in the kitchen? "No, thank you, your help has been sufficient."
...The humility of the people overwhelmed me. As I saw where the people lived, spoke with them and noticed their few possessions, I realized the impact of this statement. Although they have so little, they believe it is enough. It made me think of Christ and His Love.
I have a comfortable room at home, the opportunity to attend college, a family who loves me, and a great group of friends. Although all of these are wonderful gifts from God, I must always remember that Christ is sufficient. I need no more, and no less than Him. His grace, His love, and His forgiveness are sufficient for me. What more could I ever desire than Him? Truly, everything else fades in the light of Jesus.
I believe that this trip has affected me ore than any other because, for the first time, I was able to communicate with the native people. I spent all week speaking to the Mexican workers and those who entered the clinic. It was an incredible blessing to be able to hear the personal stories, and truly understand what life is like there.
One night, during an outdoor church service, I realized that one of the men was reading from 1 Corinthians 13. I was reciting it quietly to myself in English, and a moment later I heard one of my Mexican friends next to me reciting it in Spanish. As she and I realized this and looked at each other, there was an unspeakable bond that passed between us knowing that our God is the God that spans all time, all distance, and all cultures. We are united through Him. We may never see each other again in this lifetime, but we both know that someday we will be together in heaven; and what a joyful reunion that will be!
Since my return home, I cannot help but think of Avelina who worked tirelessly in the kitchen, sleeping for only three or four hours every night. I was as I helped her massage her swollen feet, with the hope that she could get them into her shoes again to cook for us the next day, that she shared her love and desire to serve Jesus Christ with all her heart. I also think of Hector, who believes that God is calling him into missions. He does not know where, but he is ready to follow wherever Jesus calls him, at any cost. I think of Jim Loker's coworker who has received death threats against him in several villages, but continues to trust Christ as he shares the ultimate message.
There are so many other brothers and sisters like these, who continue to carry on the work of Christ in Mexico. I went believing that God would use me as an instrument for His love, and He did. But He also blessed me - beyond what I ever could have imagined, through the Christians who already live down there. It continues to amaze and awe me that He holds all of us in the palm of His hand, whether we are from Mexico or from the United States.
Even amid the heat, the work, the long bus ride, and the sickness, how could I do anything else but praise my Lord? I cannot help but worship and sing a song of thanksgiving to Him for the incredible chance He gave me to glimpse even a slight piece of His work in Oaxaca. It makes me long even more for the day when we will all be gathered around His throne praising Him together from every tongue, tribe, and nation. But for now, as I strive to love my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, He continues to remind me again and again, "Julie, I am sufficient for you."
Julie Boyer, Tennessee

No comments:
Post a Comment